Sunday 22 February 2015

Estella: Hair Practice

For this hair style I took inspiration from a blogpost that I saw called 'Curly Late Victorian' by Locks Of Elegance. When I was looking at images of late Victorian hair, they looked very confusing and complicated, so I decided, instead, to search tutorials and this was my favourite one that I found. This link to the blog post is as follows: https://locksofelegance.wordpress.com/2014/11/08/curly-late-victorian/

Equipment:
-Hair clips
-Hair elastics
-Hair pins
-Tail comb
-Hair curlers

Step by step:
1. I first created a front section by drawing a line with my tail comb from ear to ear. I did this from the front of the ears as I didn't want it to be too thick of a section.
2. I then split this section into roughly two halts, however I will make this more precise in a later stage.


3. I then took a section behind the front section, leaving roughly two inches either side near the ears, of about an inch in depth.
4. I back combed this section with a tail comb in sections to give it a lot of volume.


5. I folded this back combed section backwards to make a quiff/beehive affect, and secured it at the back with a hair elastic and hair pins.


6. I found that the back combed section looked very messy and uneven, so I took a small section form the front section to act as a top layer. I smoothed the 'top layer' over the back combed hair to give it a smooth look.
7. I secured this extra hair with more hair pins.




8. Using my tail comb, I made the middle parting in the front section more even and straight.
9. I then twisted each side down and backwards, and pinned them at the back of the 'beehive'.


10. I didn't think that the hair at the back of the beehive was big/full enough, so I took a small rounded section from underneath the ponytail and then put all the pinned hair together with this new section and the ponytail and put them all into one ponytail.
11. I split this section into four and curled the top section towards the front, and the side sections towards the ears and pinned them all down with hair pins.
12. I curled the bottom section towards the face and pinned it on top of the curl above it, as shown in the image on the right.


13. I took a section from the top of the ears and made a ponytail with that hair.


15. I did the same with the ponytail above it, so I split the ponytail into four sections and curled the top section towards the face and the side sections outwards.
16. I then curled the bottom section and secured it on top of the curled section above.


17. I sectioned some hair off at the very bottom of the hair. It was about an inch in height.
18. I then split this section, vertically, in half.
19. I took both halves out, up and round the rest of the hair, so that the hair was left hanging in-between the two halves, and I secured the two halves together with a hair elastic.
20. I split the ponytail into four section and curled them all outwards, so up, down, and to the sides.
21. I then curled the rest of the hair that was left hanging down with a curling wand.

Back view.

Side view.

Front view.
I am so happy with how this hairstyle turned out! I especially love how the back of the hairstyle looked! I really like how intricate and detailed the back looks with the all the loops and curls. I really like how the curls with a waterfall effect. I really like how the sides have been pulled back into different sections because even though it has been pulled back, it still have some detail in it. The front of the hair would probably be my least favourite angle of this hairstyle as I think it looks quite plain and simply. In other late victorian hairstyles I have seen, the hair on top has also been curled and has more height than this. I also noticed that in most of the late victorian hairstyles I found, the fringes has been curled along the head, which I would love to experiment with. An improvement I would make to the back of the hairstyle would be to make sure that all the curls are even in size and that they are all positioned evenly and neatly. I will base my further experimentations on this hairstyle, but develop and improve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment