Tuesday 17 February 2015

Estella: Late Victorian Hairstyles and Hair Charts

I did a blog post previously all about late victorian hair and what styles were most popular, so after looking at that again, I decided to create some possible hair styles that I could use for my Estella interpretation. Below are some images and sketches I found that gave me inspiration for my three looks. I wanted to keep all my hair designs accurate to the victorian era, with the sides pulled back and most of the body on top.
Examples of Late Victorian Hairstyles
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-IJVPacWHTNw/T0Y-deW4uFI/AAAA
AAAAAvI/Ersto7HKPyg/s1600/victorian-hairstyles.jpg
Sketch of a late Victorian hairstyle
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-j8qkfi8gI_M/TijQkq9QgaI/AAAAAAAA
ASI/7vv73dDb3FY/s1600/1875-12%2Bpeterson%2Bhair.jpg
Sketch of a 1880 Victorian Hairstyle
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/9b/d
c/88/9bdc8815cb522348ad2a549c02d17af2.jpg

My Hair Designs

Design 1
This first look was inspired by the sketch above of the 1880 victorian hairstyle. I think that to achieve the hairstyle, hair pieces or padding would have been used, however I wanted to achieve a similar look with just my model's hair. I thought that the technique of putting a bun in the top of the hair and arranging the rest of the curls around that was a good idea, so I drew that method here. The sketch shows that the hair splits in two at the back, however I wanted to keep the hair all together at the back, falling to one point. The main reason I took inspiration from the image was the curled fringe. My partner doesn't have a fringe so I don't know how this would work but I am intrigued to give it a try. I know that many women in the victorian era would use fake fringes to stick on the front of their hair if they didn't want to cut their hair, so that is always an option if I decide to continue further with this design. 


Design 2
This design was inspired by the image below of Queen Alexandra because I thought it was interesting and different, how she tied all her hair up and didn't have any curls loose at the back. I was also inspired by how far forwards the body of the hair came, instead of it being more focused on the back. I hadn't tried this look out so I just drew something down that I thought could be a starting point for developing this hair design. I thought it would work if all the hair was curled in tight ringlets and then it was all pulled in to the centre, wear a centre parting would be positioned, and secured in a line to create the strip of curled hair. I then thought it would look pretty if some flowers were added to the centre strip of curls as it was very popular to decorate your hair with flowers in the victorian era. Even though I do like this look, I don't think it's fun and girly enough for the character of Estella as it is very structured. I will therefore not be experimenting further with this look. 
Portrait of Queen Alexandra
http://pre-raphaeliteramblings.blogspot.co.uk/201
3/06/the-victorian-human-hair-market.html

Design 3 (chosen design)
I was loosely inspired by the hairstyle on Gwendolen Harleth below from the film Daniel Deronda because I really liked how all the hair was pulled off her face and how the sides had been twisted or curled backwards. I also really like how all the volume is at the back/top of her head because I think it is the  most flattering. I decided to adapt the curls at the side into the hair at the front being twisted in sections and then meeting with the bun at the back. I thought that the method of having a bun to build the height and then taking the curls up to add the fullness would be the best method that I knew. I wanted the curled hair to be brought into the middle and down the centre of the head and I wanted there to be some curls left loose at the bottom to add length, which is all very similar to the image below. I thought it would look pretty if I added some flowers to the hair, as this was very popular in the era, around the front of the hair to act almost like a crown of flowers. I am really happy with this design and am looking forward to testing it out on my model.

Romola Garai as Gwendolen Harleth in the 2002 film Daniel Derondahttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ToB4gvsGyGo/UZG0xTVqVwI/AAAAAAAAB-I/LnIKBIMzmqI/s1600/deronda47.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment