Saturday 28 February 2015

Hair Practise on Estella Model

Practise 1
I decided to first practise the hairstyle I had done on my practice head as I was happy with how it turned out. I didn't want there to be a quiff at the front of the hair as I wanted to experiment with curling the fringe, so I left that section clear. I then followed the instructions that I had done before, however it turned out very different. I think it turned out so different because I placed the top bun higher and it wasn't being covered by the quiff, which made it look out of place and 'stuck on'. I found that the texture of this model, Anna's, hair was a lot more silky and that her hair was a lot thinner, meaning that it didn't have the same fullness as my practice head. I found that, because my model's hair wasn't as thick, I had to back comb some of the loops which gave them a messy look.  I got confused with which loops to loop where, and looking back at my previous attempt, I didn't loop them correctly. Another major difference with the two head types is that my model's hair is darker at the top and lighter at the bottom; this means that parts that bended well on my practice head, didn't look as neat on my model, for example the loops have more colours in them. I could continue to practice this hairstyle on my model, however I think that a design with more curls and body would suit this hair type more. 


Practise 2
Step by step:
1. Brush the hair back and create a centre parting with the tail comb.
2. Draw a line with the tail comb from ear to ear and clip those front two sections out of the way for the moment. 
3. Take a U shaped section behind the front section, as shown below, and secure this with a hair elastic in a high ponytail.
4. Curl the hair in the ponytail in four sections.
5. Twist each curl from the pony tail around the bunch to make a pretty bun. Don't make this a perfect 'ballet bun', but just make it look full and curly.
6. Curl the lower part of the hair in small sections, keeping the tong facing upwards, so that the wand can be pulled out to make ringlets.

7. Pin up some of the curls to the ponytail to add decoration and fullness. Make sure the ends still look curling. Do this to about half of the lower section.

8. Take some curls up from the bottom to make the curls all fall in a smooth transition, as shown below.


9. I split the front two sections into three and curled them horizontally and trying to keep them as close to the root as possible. I curled both halves outwards.
10. I secured each curl with hair pins.


I am happier with this hairstyle than the one above, however I do not like the front section. I had looked at sketches of late victorian hair where they had curled their fringe and so I was trying to recreate that, however I don't think I made the curls tight enough and I think the sections I used were too big. I also don't think that, if they did this hairstyle, their hair would have been as long at the front as my model as it was most popular amongst those with short fringes. I will therefore look into a different style for the front of the hair. I am a lot happier, however, with the back of the hair. I think the curls look really pretty and feminine and I like how the different tones in my hair add a more interesting detail to the look. I think the sides of the hairstyle could be more interesting or neater. I may experiment with using hair extensions in my model's hair so that she has more body and volume in her hair as I think it would help to make the look more complete and more accurate to the era. 

No comments:

Post a Comment