Thursday 12 February 2015

How to: Burns

Equipment:
-Block Gelatine
-Supra colour palette
-Bowl
-Microwave
-Spatula
-Hair dryer with cool setting
-Glycerin
-Sponge
-Black stipple sponge
-Small detail brush
-Big, stiff brush

Step by step:
1. Put the block of gelatine in a bowl and put it in the microwave, checking it every 10 seconds, and stirring.
2. Once the gelatine is melted, test how hot it is on the back of your hand, and then dab it where you want it on the skin with a spatula. Work relatively quickly, as it cools down quite quickly.
3. If you are unhappy with an edge or section, you can remove and smooth it with warm water and a cotton bud.
4. Powder over the top of the set gelatine with a powder puff and loose translucent powder.
5. Using a small brush, dab some supra colour (red, purples, yellows) the burn and blend it with your fingers. Add darker colours where you want to add depth.
6. Dab some more red with your fingers around the edges and on the burn to make it look sore and blistered.
7. Using a sponge, dab some foundation that matches the skin lightly over the burn and over the edges to blend the burn into the skin.
8. Using a big, stiff brush or a black stipple sponge, dab some more red over the burn and blend with fingers.
9. Add some blood to the burn in any holes or dents.
10. Add some pus to any areas you think may be infected.
11. Using a black stipple sponge, add some glycerin over the top of the whole burn to make it look shiny and wet. Add some to the edges to blend them with the skin.

You can peel the gelatine off and reapply at a later date it required.


I have never used these products before so I am really happy with how my burn turned out. I found that the gelatine hardened really quickly so some of my edges are not as smooth as I'd like; I will therefore work more quickly and make an effort to really focus on the edges to give them a smooth transition onto the skin. If I did this again, I wouldn't add so much black to the burn because I think it looks unnatural and too harsh; instead I would maybe use a darker red colour to add depth. I think that the glycerin really pulled the whole look together as it gave it a wetter look. 

No comments:

Post a Comment