Saturday 4 April 2015

Practising Claudia's Makeup, Hair and Styling

I wanted to practise Claudia's hair, makeup and styling at the same time to see if they all worked together. This is not the model I will be using, as she was not available, but I still wanted to practise the completed look. The model I will be using has a much stronger jaw line and she is very pale with fair hair, so I think she would work better for Claudia as I think she will look a lot more powerful and dominant. 

Make-up

Equipment:
-Foundation palette
-Buffing brush
-Concealer brush
-Big fluffy brush
-Translucent powder
-Contour palette
-Fluffy contour brush
-Disposable mascara wand
-Red supra colour
-Fluffy domed eye shadow brush
-Black eye shadow 
-Red eye shadow
-Small angled brush
-Dark red supra colour
-Rigid collodion
-Small flat brush

Step by step:
1. I first mixed foundation colours Fair Olive and G177 to get the colour I wanted. 
2. I applied this all over the face, ears and down the neck with a buffing brush to even out her skin. 
3. I then used a concealer brush to get the foundation colour right up to her eyes and all over her eyelids. 
4. Using a big fluffy brush, I then applied translucent powder all over the face and wherever I put the foundation. 
5. I then contoured her cheekbones with the medium brown shade from my contour palette and the a fluffy brush. I didn't want her contour to be too harsh, but I just wanted it to look very natural. 
6. I brushed through her eyebrows with a disposable mascara wand to neaten them up slightly. 
7. I dabbed some red supra colour all over her lips with my finger and smudged it round the edges slightly to make it look like she had maybe eaten something and it had smudges or something.
(I blended this out further later on)
8. Using a fluffy domed eye shadow brush I patted some black eye shadow onto the lid and used the excess to blend it out. I used the same brush to blend the black eye shadow along the lower lash line as I want a very messy and smoked out look.
9. I applied some red eye shadow, with a small angled brush, along the lower lash line of just the eye I wanted to add the scars to, to make it look sore.
10. I then drew some slanted lines across one of her eyes with a small angled brush and red supra colour. I made the lines about two or three brush strokes thick.
11. I then added a straight line of the darker red colour along one side of each line.
12. I then brushed some rigid collodion along each line, making sure not to get it too close to the eye. I applied it above the eyebrow, a little bit under the eyebrow and then I left a gap before drawing it under the eye. 
13. I added about 6 coats of this until I was happy with how the scars looked. 
14. Once the rigid collodion had dried, I then applied some foundation over the scars with a small flat brush and then rubbed it in with my finger to give it a more natural look.
15. I then added some colour to her face, with a fluffy brush and the golden brown shade from my contour palette, along her cheek bones, down the bridge of her nose and around her forehead.
16. I then intensified the contour by adding some of the darkest brown shade under the cheekbones and on her temple with a fluffy brush.
17. I added some highlighter on the tops of her cheek bones, in the centre of her forehead, down the bridge of her nose, and on her chin. I did this to give her a more blowy finish.

Hair and Styling

Equipment:
-Paddle brush
-Tail comb
-Dry shampoo
-Hair elastics X2
-Fluffy coat

Step by step:
1. Brush the hair with a paddle brush.
2. Add some dry shampoo to give the hair some texture and lift. 
3. I created a middle parting with the tail comb and continued the centre parting all the way to the back of the hair line.
4. I then pulled the hair to the back of the ear on each side. separated each half into three and plaited both sides of the hair. 
5. I secured both plaits with an elastic band. 
6. I then pulled out any shorter hairs and rubbed the top of the hair to make it look a bit more messy. I also pulled at the plaits slightly to give the sam messy look. 
7. The model then put the coat on to complete the look. 




I am really happy with how the look came out! I really like that I made her skin pale, but not as pale as Quentin's because it shows that there is a contrast between a vampire's skin and a human being's skin. I added to the contrast because I of the bronzy shades I added to the cheeks and the highlighter I added to the face. I added the highlighter because I wanted the vampire to look very matte and then the human to look more dewy and healthy. I may experiment with spraying a light spray of water over the face to give a more sweaty and dewy look to the skin to intensify the contrast. I think the smudges lips look very effective because I would imagine that Claudia would rub her lips out of excitement or fear from watching the horror films and I think she would have been drinking too. I also really like the messy black eye shadow around the eyes because it looks like she just quickly shoved some black on her eyes to imitate one of the characters she was watching, but she didn't spend ages blending it out perfectly, which is what I think the reality would have been as she seems quite a hectic character. I am really happy with how the scars came out around her eyes because I think they look very realistic and painful. I like the hint of red under her eye with the scars too because it adds a painful and watery look to her eye. In my final assessment I will add a milky white eye contact to her eye with the scars, but I couldn't use them in this practise as I needed special contact lens solution which I didn't own. I will try to use the contacts in my next practise though. I like that the hair is a reflection of Annabelle the doll, which is the character I think Claudia took a lot of inspiration from because it adds a slightly playful, yet sinister feel to the look. I think I will add red bows to the ends of her plaits to emphasise the reference to Annabelle and I also think it would look effective as it would put more emphasis on her red lips. I decided on Claudia wearing a fur coat because I think she wold have taken inspiration from another character in one of the other films she was watching. I chose Claudia to be inspired by Scarlett Johansson in Under The Skin as she had a red lip and wears a gorgeous fur coat. I like that the coat adds majority and elegance to the otherwise messy and childlike look because it shows how confused and disorientated Claudia can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment