Wednesday 1 April 2015

My Claudia and Quentin Presentation

My Chosen TV Series
I have chosen True Blood because I was intrigued by the supernatural aspect of the series, with all the vampires, fairies and werewolves, and I thought it would be fun to take inspiration from so many different creatures. 
It is set in the gothic town of Bon Temps, Louisiana.

Audience Demographics
This show is aimed at adults and the audience is predominantly women. 
The producer, Alan Ball, says it is appealing to women because of the “story telling and the romance”. Women may be attracted to Bill and Sookie’s relationship and the sexual tension between them and other partnerships in the series. The struggle of the fictional rights movement could be interpreted as a reference to the real world struggle of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual movement, which would therefore attract large audiences from that group.

Claudia
-How do they fit in with the series?
Claudia would be Sookie’s cousin that she doesn’t see very often because she never leaves her house. She inherited money from her parents who dies when she was young. She wants to have full control over her imaginary boyfriend because her parents had such control over her before they died and she wants to rebel and be the one in control.

-How will the setting inform your character?
Claudia would be very social awkward and nervous around new people as she rarely comes into contact with people other than her neighbours or Quentin. Her kitsch decor is full mementos from her parents and so she finds it hard to let go and is very messy. Some of the stranger mementos, e.g. trolls, sometimes spark hallucinations. 

-How will the look appeal to audience demographics?
I think Claudia’s look will appeal to my adult audience of mostly females and LGBT movement because the blind, scratched out eye makeup may be too graphic for a younger audience. Also because the audience are either around Claudia’s age or have been that age, they can relate and empathise with her and her desire to be loved and accepted.

-What will you need to change/add to your character?
I don’t yet know what model I am using for this Claudia, so I will therefore have to make final adjustments so that my design works with their colouring/hair type/face shape.

What Key Word did you choose to develop your character?
-Why did you choose your key word?
I chose ‘Save us’ to develop my character because Claudia’s parents dies when she was very young and so didn’t have the same loved and supportive upbringing, I therefore think Claudia wants to be saved by her imaginary boyfriend, Quentin, from the pain of heartache and loneliness. 

-What did the key word inspire you to investigate?
I took inspiration from my key word and suggested that because she felt lonely she wanted to dress up as other characters from films to escape her reality. I therefore looked into different characters from different horror films and adapted their looks to influence Claudia’s. 

-What scene do you see your character in?
I see Claudia in her apartment, watching the Conjuring in ore and amazement, dressed up as Annabelle the doll, but still in her furry coat. I the see her calling Quentin to come over and give her some company and to have someone to share the film with. I see him resisting to come over and her then plotting her revenge for his disobedience. 

Female character from Under The Skin.

Annabelle the doll from the Conjuring.
-What else do you now need to do?
I now need to finalise what model I’m using and make sure I find the right clothing and accessories to back up my design. I also need to practice the hair and makeup look before doing my final shoot. 

Quentin
-How do they fit in with the series?
Quentin is the imaginary boyfriend of Sookie’s cousin Claudia. Quentin’s job is never mentioned as he is only seen when in Claudia’s house. His aim is to make Claudia happy, however he is not always happy about getting controlled around by her.

-How will their settings inform your character?
Quentin’s surroundings always reflects on what Claudia has decided to turn him into, meaning it is a knock on effect of what Claudia’s surroundings are. 

-What will you need to develop for your character?
I know that Quentin will wear black or dark colours, but I still need to finalise exactly what he will be wearing. I will also need to clarify how to create the blood tears and how to apply his fangs. 

-How will his look appeal to the audience demographic?
I think Quentin’s look will appeal to True Blood’s audience of mostly female and gay adults because he will be attractive and sexy, but also loveable and caring, without being too soppy. I think this will entice many females or gays that also dream of men like this. 

What Key Word did you choose to develop your character?
-Why did you choose your key word?
I chose 'Red rave' because, to me,  red raves are very chaotic, out of control, overwhelming, claustrophobic and energised. 


-What did the key word inspire you to investigate?
The rich red colours of the raves immediately made me think of blood, pain and torture, but lead me to think of blood thirsty vampires. The chaotic and out of control energy reflects how Claudia wants to control Quentin and how he is always on edge as he doesn't know what Claudia's emotions will be and what she will turn him into. I think the strobe lights of a rave could represent how quickly Claudia could change his appearance, just like how you can see someone in one flash but by the next they could be gone or in a different position. I also think a red rave could reflect his love for dark and shocking horror films and how you can lose your imagination in the film, just like you can lose your sense of reality or control in a rave.

-What scene do you see your character in?
I see Quentin in a scene where he has been called round to Claudia’s house and he is anxious to know what mood she’ll be in and therefore what she will turn him into. 

-What else do you now need to do?
I now need to learn how to apply the fangs, purchases any products I don’t already have and finalise what he will be wearing. 

What now?
-What do you now need to do?
I now need to practice the makeup looks I have created on my face charts on the models I will be using. I also need to finalise what they will be wearing. I will need to decide what location I will shoot in for Claudia’s image, as I will be shooting Quentin in the studio. 

-What are your concerns?
My concerns are that my model for Claudia that I am considering won’t be available for me to work on her and also that I won’t be able to stick the fangs on Quentin, as I tried to for halloween and I found then really tricky. 

-How can we help you?
Please let me know, honestly, how I can improve on my character creations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment