Friday 20 March 2015

Claudia's Face Charts

When I was designing Claudia's face charts, I kept in mind that this character would be placed into the TV series True Blood and so my designs would have to fit in with this. I wanted my characters to fit in with the rest of the cast, meaning, for example, I wouldn't suddenly introduce a tan vampire or a vampire that didn't have fangs, because it wouldn't fit. True Blood's head makeup artist, Brigette A. Myre, said that she makes sure to 'keep the humans very bronzed and sweaty (we spray them with water) to serve as a contrast to the vampires who are always cool and collected. This gave me inspiration to make my character look sweaty, which makes sense considering how hot Louisiana would be! I will also experiment with her technique of spraying my character with water to act as sweat droplets. I kept in mind my mind map and the analysis of Claudia's character profile when creating these designs.

Claudia's Eyes

I knew I wanted Claudia to be blind, but I wasn't too sure what her eyes would look like, so I found some images of when the eyes look a milky white colour all over the eye and pupil. The images are found are as follows. 

http://data2.whicdn.com/images/43324507/original.jpg
http://en.ilpvideo.com/img/2012/03/31/can-blind-people-open-their-eyes.jpg
http://s245.photobucket.com/user/witchyhoy3/
media/000000/29_wnberlino-058.jpg.html

Design 1
In this look I made it look like she had tried to scratch both her eyes out, meaning she has scars going across both eyes and both her eyes are a milky white colour to show she has gone blind in both eyes. I decided to fill her eyebrows in the normal shape, but make them very dark to channel Annabelle's black eyebrows in the Conjuring. I decided to lightly contour the face to give the face some depth as I think without this, the face could look very flat on camera. I decided to add some redness around the eyes and along the waterline because I wanted to make them look agitated and sore from where she had rubbed them. I was inspired to do the dark lip because Annabelle's lips were very dark and seemed to look a slightly different shade in different clips, so I therefore decided on dark purple to show her dark and vampy side. I will keep the skin dewy and not too pale as I want there to be a contrast between a human's skin and then whatever I decide Quentin's skin to look like. 

Design 2

In this look I went a bit crazy and fun with the makeup look. I was heavily inspired by Annabelle's makeup from the Conjuring. I gave her a bright red blush in circles on the apples of her cheeks only and gave her red lips that had been smudged slightly, both as Annabelle's were in some scenes. Annabelle's big, piercing eyes are a definite main feature of her look and so I wanted to really make the eyes stand out in Claudia's recreation of her; I decided to smudge and messily blend some black eyeshadow all round the eyes to give them a very dark and bold look and to draw attention to them. I like that this design shows that Claudia can be very creative and takes dressing up as the characters she watching seriously, however I think that this look could come across messy and overdone and I think I need to be more individual with it as I am taking so much inspiration from another character's look. In this look I again wanted her to have scratched across her eyes, but I decided to make it look like she had been scratched in one eye by a werewolf or dog of some kind, therefore there would only be three scratch marks. I thought it may look creepier if she was only blond in one eye as people are sometimes more attracted to symmetry. 

Design 3 
In this design I was inspired by Annabelle's eyebrows and how they are very black and thin and very high up on the forehead; therefore I decided to draw them on very high on her forehead and block our her natural eyebrows to creation this exaggerated look. I was also inspired by Annabelle's bright red cheeks for this look and wanted to make them a focus feature in this look and the eyes and lips are more muted. I again decided to make it look like she has been scratched across the eye by a werewolf  as I thought it added an aspect of fear to the look and I would make them look like scars. I would also make her look blind in the crotched eye using milky white contact lenses. I decided to keep the lips a natural colour so that the eyebrows and cheeks are the main focus, as in the design 2 I think there was too much going on, making it look messy. I will keep the skin looking dewy and not too pale, again, to show that she is human and not any other supernatural creature. 


I am happy with all my designs, however because Claudia wants to dress up as the character she is watching in the film, I think it is very easy to copy too much from that character and therefore not make it your own. I will therefore look into another character and try and mix the two to make it more of a unique design. 

No comments:

Post a Comment