Saturday 21 March 2015

Inspiration from Vampires in True Blood

After choosing my inspirational key words, 'Red rave', and deciding that Quentin was going to be a vampire, I decided to look into what the vampires looked like in True Blood. Claudia could have imagined Quentin to look like any of the vampires she had seen in other horror films, but I think it would translate better and be more clear to the audience if some of the vampire aspects in True Blood were reflected in Quentin. 


True Blood
All the vampires in True Blood seem to have a sexual and sly look about them. They all seem to be very calm and collected the majority of the time, with only flashes of anger. The female vampires seem to wear very provocative, skimpy clothing and the males seem to try and look as intimidating and tough as possible. The male vampire that stood out to me was Liam, the one with the tattoos and bald head as he is one of the vampires that doesn't want to look mainstream, he wants to look fierce and strong. However I don't think Claudia would imagine her boyfriend to look like that as she likes to be in control, so I think the vampire I create should be sexy and touch looking, but not too intimidating or violent.
http://www.trueblood-online.com/wp-content/up
loads/2010/04/TrueBloodseason3-poster.jpg
Screenshot of Liam, from series one of True Blood.
Below shows an image of two vampires and I think they are both good example of how the majority of the vampires in the film look like. They both have very pale, almost translucent skin and it always looks very matte and almost powdery. They don't look like they wear blush, however I think some conturing would have been done to give their faces some depth. The vampires seem to wear black a lot of the time, which makes sense, as the colour black is associated with power, death, evil and mystery. The female vampires usually have red lips, however I noticed that the male vampires don't tend to have much colouring in their lips at all. I found an interview with the head makeup artist for True Blood, Brigette A. Myre and she said that they 'colour in the nail beds with ink and rim the eyes with a wine coloured eye shadow' She also said they they 'use the FX Skin Illustrator Scrapes and Scabs palette for the actor's nail beds' to 'create an aged blood colour'. I will therefore make the eyes look red with this technique and I will add some blood around the nails too to give my vampire the same look as the True Blood vampires. Another thing I noticed when watching the series was that the vampires only had fangs when they were either sexually aroused or about to bite someone, meaning that on a day to day basis their fangs didn't actually show. However I think that I will include fangs in my image of Quentin because I think that Claudia would have imagined him with fangs as this is more vampire like.

The head of the vampires, Eric.
https://tvrecappersanonymous.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/eric-fangtasia.jpg
Image of Eric the vampire.
http://th04.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2012/24
9/e/4/eric_northman_by_sanxtv-d5dryeq.jpg
A very unique feature that the vampires have over the humans in True Blood is that they cry tears of blood. The head makeup artist for True Blood said that when they are filming she uses the practical effect which is when she will 'literally place a tear next to the actor's tear duct'. I think I should definitely include this in my creation of Quentin as it is such a unique and supernatural aspect of the vampires.

Example of blood tears.
http://s.likes-media.com/img/a4a84cccdf5065900e3d0e7c32affa0d
In Quentin's character profile is states that he is 'long suffering' and that Claudia 'keeps him firmly under her thumb, sometimes restraining him or keeping him prisoner in one of the rooms'. I thought I should definitely show this in my character image and the image below inspired me to have silver chains wrapped round his neck and possibly wrapped round his face to keep him restrained. The vampires in True Blood burn and melt if they come into contact with silver and so this would be the perfect way to use this knowledge of hers against him. I think it is really effective how something so harmless to humans can be used as such a weapon against vampires. 

Vampire Jessica
http://www.scififx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/babyjessica.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment